Cannabis was traded in secret due to strict laws and regulations. However, over the years, governments across Europe and North America have become more lenient when it comes to laws regarding cannabis. Most of these legislative changes are due to mounting evidence regarding the medicinal properties of various hemp extracts. Surging sales across the US prove that consumers have started to see the cannabis plant for the miracle worker it is. One of the newest cannabinoids to receive a surge in popularity is the Delta 8 THC. Here’s a look at everything you need to know about Delta-8-THC, Delta 8 CBD Flower and the benefits it provides.
Table of Contents
What is the Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 Tetrahydrocannabinol is a chemical compound found in the cannabis plant in smaller amounts and is a less known variant of the Delta-9 THC. Most commercial extractors and manufacturers depend on selective breeding practices and molecular isolation techniques to extract these substances. The recent explosion in popularity of the Delta-8 and Delta-9 might leave people curious regarding the properties of Delta-1 and Delta-2 products. However, while these compounds exist, their consumption does not have much potential due to their chemical structures. Additionally, since the Delta-8 variant is rarer than the rest, it requires unique breeding and processing methods to produce. Most companies utilize carbon dioxide extraction to obtain this compound from the cannabis plant.
Furthermore, like cannabidiol, the Delta-8 variant imparts focus, concentration, relaxation, and a milder high, leading to a more positive user experience. The unique properties of these compounds can help with various ailments and issues. It acts as a bridge between the different cannabinoids and is an excellent alternative for beginners wary of the mind-altering properties of these extracts. While the Delta-9 variant helps treat ailments such as anxiety, depression, and insomnia, it can be too potent for several beginners. It can also be too racy, making it challenging for consumers to focus in some instances. Hence, whenever focus is a primary concern, consumers should opt for the Delta-8 variant for a better experience.
What Makes This Tetrahydrocannabinol Different?
The quick rise of CBD led to an ensuing interest in other compounds, such as cannabigerol and cannabinol. Of late, the newest entrant gaining popularity is the CBD’s distant cousin tetrahydrocannabinol. While the Delta-9 variant has been discussed and researched widely, the lesser-known Delta-8 has gained popularity as a safer and healthier alternative. While the Delta-9 is the most abundant compound available, it is infamous for inducing mind-altering effects. What if there was a way to generate the same benefits without any adverse side effects? That is what the Delta-8 variant promises and offers, leading to an increase in sales of such extracts.
Research has shown that the Delta-8 differs from its more famous counterpart regarding its chemical structure. However, the difference in the placement of a double bond can create a massive impact, reducing psychoactive components while enhancing its benefits. As per a report by the National Cancer Institute, the Delta-8 variant possesses lower psychotropic potency when compared to the Delta-9 by binding to CB receptors differently. As a result, it has a lower sedative effect than the more famous Delta-9.
Secrets of Delta-8 THC
- Less Chance of Dizziness: Unlike other cannabinoids, Delta-8 THC is psychoactive, meaning it can create a feeling of intoxication or high. Like the Delta-9 cannabinoid, these compounds interact with our receptors and neurotransmitters to create mind-altering effects. However, these compounds are not as intense as their Delta-9 counterparts, making them safer for consumption. The Delta-8 variant contains a lower concentration of Tetrahydrocannabinol, and hence, these products are legal for purchase in dispensaries.
- Chemistry Behind the Magic: The human body contains an endocannabinoid system that consists of various receptors and neurotransmitters. These compounds interact with such receptors to regulate hormone production and several other bodily functions. The carbon-carbon double-bond is responsible for providing the Delta-8 its psychoactive properties. These effects occur when the compound binds with CB1 and CB2 receptors, present in our brain and immune system. While the CB1 causes side effects, the CB2 induces several benefits and medicinal properties of such compounds.
- Unique Structure: One of the primary reasons for the advanced efficacy of such molecules is their unique structure. It allows them to bond better with the CB2 receptors that help in inducing various medicinal and therapeutic properties. As a result, consumers of Delta-8 can make the best of all such positive impacts, unlike with the other variant. The latter is responsible for creating a high whenever people ingest cannabis. The Delta-9 variant has fewer benefits because its structure leads to better binding with the CB1 receptors found in our brain. These receptors, unlike the CB2, are responsible for cognition, memory, and intoxication, leading to the compound’s mind-altering effects.
- Stimulates our Appetite: By interacting and binding with the CB2 receptors, Delta-8 induces several medicinal benefits. It helps improve our appetite naturally, helping people with eating disorders and underweight. Studies done on mice showed that consuming Delta-8 increased their appetite by a whopping 22%, helping improve their physical health. Additionally, it possesses all the medicinal properties of cannabidiol, making it a potent natural remedy for several ailments. It also has anti-emetic properties that keep nausea and vomiting at bay. As a result, it can do wonders for individuals struggling with their gut health or undergoing chemotherapy.
- Promotes Better Health: These compounds have potent neuroprotective properties that help them prevent nerve damage. They also help in keeping degenerative neurological disorders at bay. If that wasn’t enough, these substances also have anti-psychotic properties that make them effective in treating mental disorders, such as schizophrenia. Delta-8 also possesses anxiolytic properties that help alleviate symptoms of anxiety and depression. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that improves our neural performance. It also enhances cognition and neuroplasticity within the brain.
- Muscle Recovery and Growth: Avid gym enthusiasts and athletes always run the risk of over-training themselves. Doing so for extended periods can impede performance as it prevents muscles from recovering and growing back robust. Delta-8 works as an excellent muscle relaxant, helping aid muscle recovery and growth naturally. Additionally, these compounds have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that keep our muscles healthy and pain-free.
- Wary of Side-effects: Higher concentrations of Delta-8 can behave more like the psychoactive Delta-9 variant. As a result, consumers, especially older clients, need to be wary of the side effects caused by this compound. Individuals must consult doctors before they fix a dosing regimen. Doing so will ensure they don’t suffer from consequences arising out of the higher intake.
- Length of Effect: Most studies have not focused on the longevity of the effects of various compounds, such as Delta-8. However, research has proved that the ingestion method plays an integral role in deciding the overall impact of the substance. As a result, smoking or sublingual ingestion can have a heavier impact on the consumer, whereas topical and edible consumption is milder. Therefore, beginners can experiment with such ingestion methods before moving on to more potent forms of consumption. Additionally, an individual’s natural immune response and gut health also influence the lasting effect of the compound.
- Need for Better Research: Since the legalization of cannabis took decades, research surrounding various cannabinoids took off only recently. In 1995, studies on mice showed that the Delta-8 variant lies midway between the Delta-9 and CBD when it comes to psychoactive effects. Later, studies focused on children undergoing chemotherapy for Hematologic cancer. These compounds could reduce nausea and other side effects associated with chemotherapy. In 2004, a study on mice proved the appetite-boosting capabilities of the substance. Later, in 2018, the anti-inflammatory properties of Delta-8 also came into the forefront, claiming lower intake of these compounds has a positive effect on people. While the government’s classification of cannabis as a Schedule I compound restricted access to clinical studies and research, more such programs have taken off recently. Hence, we require better research to unlock the newer benefits and impacts of such compounds.
- Legality: The legal status of Delta-8 products is quite tricky as it depends on their method and source of production. The 2018 Farm Bill made hemp-derived products legal in the US, but not all products laced with THC come from hemp. As a result, consumers must check manufacturing information before purchasing such products in the US. Also, there is some debate regarding how the legislation will handle products that contain higher THC levels than permitted. As a result, Delta-8 products do not have federal scheduling currently, plus consumers can fail a drug test in some instances. Therefore, users should be careful about when, where, and how they use such products.
With every passing day, cannabinoids like Delta-8 grow in popularity, thanks to their therapeutic benefits. As more research provides scientific evidence regarding its positive impact, companies will introduce more products laced with such extracts. The 2018 Farm Bill legalized products derived from hemp and made ones containing less than 0.3% THC legal in the US. As a result, Delta-8 products that fit this criterion have been flooding the market. Consumers need to research diligently before purchasing to ensure they get items that meet their needs and requirements. By consulting doctors and creating a suitable dosage regimen, consumers can make the best of these products. Let us know in the comments below how Delta-8 products have been able to add value to your lives.